Thursday, May 29, 2008

donation option #2

For those who would rather donate toward medical research, we are encouraging donations to Memorial Sloan Kettering. All three of us are a little bit in love with MSK. They took such good care of our Mom. Every ounce of that place is amazing. 

We've specified that donations made in her honor go toward lung cancer research. Cancer is everywhere. The work is important - it need not be emphasized.

If you'd like to donate online you can do so here. Please be sure to specify under "Tributes and Special Occasions" that the gift is in memory of Janet Ward. We will be able to track donations, but only those that are specifically given in her honor.

As an alternative, you may send a check with "in the memory of Janet Ward" in the memo line to:

Memorial Sloan-Kettering
Attn: Danielle Burke
633 Third Avenue, 28th Floor
New York, NY  10017

Thanks all.  Much love.

2 comments:

Constance said...

Because you are in New York
And I am on the west coast
Days, even weeks, might pass before we would talk again
So it doesn’t seem unusual to not hear your voice or see your face

Now all the activities have subsided
And the semi-dreaded daily reports no longer assail
It sinks in, I am alone, without you.
You are gone and I am left.

Left with the New Yorker
weekly evoking thoughts of you
Left with the detritus, envelopes, notes, letters
Imprinted with your distinctive hand

Left with a few CDs of your voice reading poetry
A few videos of your performances—so alive
Not nearly enough though prized.

Life didn’t treat you gently
But you never allowed the punches to deter your focus
On what was important
cheerfully determined to succeed
Against all odds as it turned out

You left your mark in all our hearts.
You left your babies to carry on.
You left me, heart broken
But oh so happy I knew you.

Dearest Janet.

Kerry said...

Your mom was in a lovely dream of mine last night. I was at a library of some sort, where I was supposed to be rehearsing a play (actor's nightmare, I didn't know what we were supposed to be doing). And all of a sudden, there was Janet in this gorgeous orchid-colored party dress. She had some small burn marks on the side of her neck, which she told me were from radiation. I kissed her neck and we embraced. And she led me to a room where my lines were pasted on slips of paper around the walls, and she was hugging me and encouraging me to just go balls-out and do the part, because I knew what I was doing and I didn't need to be worried or timid about it.

I can't tell you how happy this dream made me. (I also still can't tell you what play we were supposed to be doing.) I think it was her way of telling us all that she's in a good place, and that whatever we do with whatever time we have left, do it with the same heart and soul and enthusiasm and commitment that she exhibited.