Wednesday, May 7, 2008

whoah st. james'

So I met with Craig Townsend today, the Associate Rector at St. James', and Davis Wortman, the Director of Music (my boss) there. All I can say is wow and whoah.  I'm just blown away by the love and generosity everyone at St. James' has shown me in preparation for this memorial. I really think this service will be beautiful and cathartic.

And speaking of love and generosity, I'm so honored that members of the Compostela Choir, the all-pro group I sing with at St. James', are donating their time and performing a choral prelude to the service. Davis and I hand-picked the music today (Byrd, Purcell, Howells, etc. - good stuff!). Mom would be thrilled, of that I am sure. The service will be structured with jazz and poetry as its centerpiece.  And while some of the things on Mom's wishlist are impossible for the actual service, I do think that everything we're doing will honor her and remain true to who she is and what she wants.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the east coast there May 20th, 11am, and I'm soooo ready to spend the coming week in San Francisco with Jenn, Dan & the kids.  Can't wait to squeeze them all! So glad I'll be there for the west coast memorial on Sunday too. Hopefully it'll make Mother's Day a little more bearable. Exit Theatre: perfection.

11 comments:

Gemma Whelan said...

Sarah,
It sounds divine!
I'm so pleased it is all falling in to place and know it will be beautiful.
I can't wait to see you at the Exit!
Love,
Gemma

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome. And a little West Coast escape sounds perfect. Sarah, I've been wanting to call you the past few days, but for some reason I can't find your number anywhere. I actually resorted to calling your Mom's numbers thinking you might pick up. Alas, no. Can you leave your number here or call me. 917-596-2124. Thanks and I hope you're staying strong.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah and Jennifer;
I think it is awesome that you are in sf with your sister. You need to embrace your family and the love you guys have for each other. I cannot make both of the ceremonies but I have all of this footage of Janet in all of her fabulousness that I putting together a little film. I want to go home this summer and have more time to put something beautiful together for her. And Sarah I would love if you approved the music...So anyway, love love love to you all....I think about you every day.
Love
Bern

Sarah said...

hey jeremiah - my number is 917.304.9880. thanks for the good words and thanks again for coming on saturday...was great to see you.

Steven Patterson said...

A big shout out to all the SF crowd. Both shows we did with Janet in SF (ALL THAT FALL and DO LET US GO AWAY. A PLAY) were performed at EXIT and I know the energy there will be perfect. We know Joe & Bill and Matt Klein will be there. Wish we could be too. But we'll see you at St. James' on the 20th (and definitely at Jimmy's afterwards).

JenCooper said...

Sarah,
I can't wait to be around all of janets loved ones. Janets laugh has remained in the halls each and everytime I go on our 3rd floor. She is here I know it and feel her everyday. you guys are very brave kids and I know she is very proud of all of you. You are such so wonderful!
xooxo
Jennifer Cooper

melissa bug said...

hi Sarah, hope it's been good to be in SF. I have been trying to get a cheap ticket to NY so I could be at the memorial but it's looking impossible-just too expensive unfortunately. Do you think someone will film it? That would be great to get ahold of if it happens. I just can barely take it that I can't be there. People have asked me how I'm gonna get closure. I think I'll need to take a trip to NY sometime where we can sit and look at pictures etc. I hope you 3 know that I am there with you in spirit. Love ya and am missing the daily updates-I felt I had connection through them. Hope the sf memorial was great. kisses Melissa bug

Geoffrey said...

Hi Sarah and Jennifer,

I directed Janet in a film a few years ago. My wife and I were lucky enough to visit her a week before she passed and she mentioned how much she liked the final moments of the film. Inspired by her comments I reedited the last section of the film using left over footage of just Janet reading from the Black Book of Carmarthen. I've posted the video on my website. A link is below. If you like it I'd be happy to post it on Youtube so you can link to it easier and I'd be happy to send you a dvd if you want.

Link to the video:
http://darkseptemberrain.com/
trailer/qucktimejanetreads.htm

Link to the words
http://darkseptemberrain.com/blog/blog.htm

Many blessings for you and your family during this time.
Geoffrey Breedon and Tsufit Isaacy

Sarah said...

Wow Geoffrey thanks so much. We'd love to see this - the link didn't though, so maybe post it to YouTube if you like. We'd also love DVDs if that's easy for you. Thanks so much!

Geoffrey said...

Hi Sarah,

I posted it to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36K014veQaw

If you email me your address I'll mail you dvd.

my address is: geoffrey at darkseptemberrain dot com

You you like enjoy

Constance said...

Geoffrey it is beautiful. It took some doing to find on You Tube. For just a moment it made me forget she's gone. Thanks for sharing.
Constance